1927 7th Street

   Tuscaloosa, AL  35401

Click here to edit title

Bringing peace of mind to the people of Tuscaloosa, Walker and surrounding counties.


Payday loans

Posted on April 6, 2015 at 6:00 PM

     Payday loans. You may have heard a lot about them in the news lately. They are often used as a temporary stop-gap means of making ends meet for many Americans. While most people who utilize this form of short-term loan usually understand that they are not entering into a good deal, few realize just how raw of a deal they are getting.

     In Alabama, cash advance or payday lenders will lend their customers a small amount of money, usuall...

Read Full Post »

What can I do if I am starting to get overwhelmed by my credit card debt?

Posted on October 2, 2014 at 1:25 AM

     If you are an American living in the 21st Century, you have probably had a moment when you are struck by just how much of your disposable income is devoted to paying on your monthly debt bills. Like so many others, you may have recently confronted the fact that paying the monthly minimum due on your high interest credit card bills is getting you nowhere fast.


     The greatest problems with credit cards are their easy access a...

Read Full Post »

Do I have to keep in contact with The Elmer Law Firm after my case is filed? When do I need to contact my attorney to give updated information?

Posted on August 13, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Well this has been a busy Summer for us here at the Elmer Law Firm, and I am sorry I haven't gotten any new posts up lately. The simple answer to this question is yes, you need to contact your attorney anytime there is a significant change in your financial world. While this may sound like common sense to you, it is easy enough to overlook or forget about. Some common examples of events which you should always notify us about while you are in an active bankruptcy are:

• Cha...

Read Full Post »

Will I be able to keep my tax refund if I file bankruptcy?

Posted on March 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM

     The answer to this question is that it depends. It will depend on several factors, including what chapter of bankruptcy you file, how large your refund is, and the timing of your bankruptcy filing.


     For those who are filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy it can actually be a little easier for you to keep your tax refund than in Chapter 13. The reason being is that you can exempt, or protect that refund just like any other asset. ...

Read Full Post »

Can I include taxes owed to the government in my bankruptcy?

Posted on March 24, 2014 at 3:40 PM

     With the warm weather and return of the sounds of wildlife returning, that means that Spring is here. And with Spring, soon comes April 15th and Tax Day. This time of the year often makes many people nervous, particularly those who know or fear that they may owe some money to their Uncle Sam. This can be a particularly real fear if you have done any number of things that so many people have done in these tough times without ever thinking of the tax consequences. Y...

Read Full Post »

If I file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, can I later convert my case to a Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Posted on January 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM

     Yes, you can. A debtor may, at any time, convert (or change) their Chapter 13 bankruptcy to a Chapter 7 so long as they have not already converted from another chapter, without court approval. If your situation since you have filed your Chapter 13 has changed enough, you may find that it is no longer practical to remain in it. You may have had a drop in income, change in family circumstances such as a divorce or death of a spouse, or you may have accrued additional...

Read Full Post »

I owe my family money. Do I have to list the amounts that I owe to my friends and family in my bankruptcy?

Posted on November 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Yes.  As we head into the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, many people turn their thoughts to friends and family.   And if you owe money to those you love, you may begin to think about how you can protect them before you begin to consider contacting a bankruptcy attorney.   While this is certainly a noble and understandable thought, it is not in either your best interests or those of your loved one, for the following reasons.


You do need to list all of you...

Read Full Post »

BK Frequently Asked Questions, Part II: If my home is worth less than my first mortgage, is there anything that I can do about my second mortgage?

Posted on September 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Many of my clients who first come in to see me have been struggling with their debt for some time. Some for half a decade or longer. When I have a client who has a second mortgage on their home from back in the days when property values were rising each year, most of the time that second mortgage is no longer secured by equity in the property. In other words, their first mortgage is for more than the entire property is currently worth. Some clients ask if something can be done about that ...

Read Full Post »

BK Frequently Asked Questions, Part I: What happens if after I file my Chapter 13 bankruptcy I lose my job or otherwise fall behind on my payments?

Posted on August 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Today’s entry is the first part in a new series of frequently asked questions. These are questions that lots of people ask and often times need only a brief answer. One of the most frequent questions that I get asked by new clients wanting to file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy is what happens if they were to unfortunately lose their job. In this economy, that is certainly a legitimate concern.


What I tell my clients is that if you or a spouse loses a job and miss a pay...

Read Full Post »

How do I make my payments if I file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy?

Posted on July 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

If you have filed a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, the first thing that you will want to do is make your first regularly scheduled payment into your case. If you are being payroll deducted, look at the first paycheck you receive after you have filed and see if your employer has deducted your plan payment from it. If not, you will need to make that payment directly to the trustee. You may do so by cash payment at the trustee’s office, or via mail by money order or cashier’s check. If y...

Read Full Post »